Hello there Misza,
With the new Wikia look (which i hate) and less community feel back at wikia, ive thought of moving my wiki here, from justcause.wikia.com to justcause.shoutwiki.com and i was wondering if its possible to copy a database dump over to here (so we dont need to re do everything).
If you know someone with better experience in this type of work feel free to tell me so i can finish my move.
Kronos (talk) 00:40, 4 November 2010 (UTC)
- Hi Kronos. We can certainly assist you with importing your wiki. Imports are temporarily on hold while we move to a new server, but I have logged a request for this import to be added to the queue. — Lynton talk • email 15:38, 4 November 2010 (UTC)
Thank you for your time, what you've done has helped alot.
Kronos (talk) 18:59, 4 November 2010 (UTC)
A mesage of thanks
Just thought I'd stop by and give you a note of thanks. While you've specifically helped me a lot with the partial importing (from User talk:Jedimca0) and the recent enabling of PHP uploads, I know you've also been doing lots of work behind the scenes on the new server. So anyway, thank you. Your work is most certainly appreciated!
While I'm here, I'll answer your question from here: 10MB would be excellent. Thanks again, 〆vonPreußen／talk
Question about custom domains
Hi, Jack Phoenix referred me to you.
This all started by a series of questions on ticket #355027 (still open). Since it was some time since I sent it, I asked Jack, and he answered me here. He answered to all my questions, except this one:
- Can we have a custom domain while hosted by you? We would like to buy the domain and point it to you, to maintain control over it.
For this, he sent me to you. We are not in a big hurry, I'll be watching this page for the answer. Thank you in advance. Scarbrow (talk) 03:54, 7 December 2010 (UTC)
- Hi. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier - my time online's been limited this week and I've been spending most of it on processing wiki imports.
- Yes, it should be possible. I'll run some tests soon to check out if everything works fine. Would you want the wiki to be accessible under both addresses (which could be strange) or have one redirect to the other? —миша 21:50, 12 December 2010 (UTC)
- One redirecting to the other would be better. I assume the shoutwiki subdomain would redirect to our domain, whouldn't it? Could your give me a rough sketch of how much configuration would that need, since we would have to do it to the domain? As before, no hurry. We're going to move, but we have no deadline. Scarbrow (talk) 23:55, 14 December 2010 (UTC)
- Hi, Misza. I've investigated a little more on the interesting subject of URL Redirection, both direct and masked, and I'm pretty sure I know now how it works. So basically I could buy a domain, redirect it to your (our) subdomain in your server and voila! working. My only concern now (although if you have more information about custom domains, it would be welcome) is: If I set up a direct (i.e, not masked) URL redirect, and then I link to http://www.example.com/wiki/Somepage, will the link go directly to http://ourwiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Somepage, or will it arrive to the main page by default? Thank you. Scarbrow (talk) 00:27, 19 December 2010 (UTC)
I want to move my wiki (koopa.wikia.com) here to Shout Wiki.--Eduardog3000 (talk) 22:36, 10 December 2010 (UTC)
Wikicars wants to merge with Autopedia
Urgent message. Wikicars wants to merge with Autopedia! Could you please import everything from there? Its got 6000 articles+. It is very important. --Silver Knight (talk) 10:07, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
- Two things:
- One of the implications of "merge" is that same-named articles (if there are any), will have their histories merged too, possibly messing up some articles.
- There is no easy way of doing this in one go. When a Wikia wiki is the source, their Special:Statistics page displays a link to a compressed XML dump of the entire wiki. In case of wikicars, there is none, which means the only way to do it is by harvesting Special:Export, feeding it small lists of pages (there is no way you would be able to export all 50K pages at once). At present, we have no way of doing it automatically. And on top of that, we can just hope that MediaWiki 1.6 Special:Export produces compatible dumps.
- We are not wizards, you know... I could try and write such a program but I have no idea how long would that take or how long would it run. An optimal way would be to obtain a full dump generated by the server administrator (maintenance/dumpBackup.php, all pages, full history). —миша 11:02, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
- Right now at this point, anything you do or offer would be good. I want to leave Internet Brands no matter what it takes. --Silver Knight (talk) 11:06, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
- Please DO NOT IGNORE THIS. Wikicars is desperate for anything. Red marquis begs for someone to hack Wikicars. --Silver Knight (talk) 13:13, 25 December 2010 (UTC)
- I'm not ignoring this, but first of all, it's Christmas, and I'm spending less time online. Second, like I said (did you read my response?), if anything, it will take time. Third, I certainly won't be providing hourly updates on how am I progressing.
- If you can't provide a server-generated XML dump, I need to write specialized software for this - and then run it, which will also take time.
- You're making this sound like there's a timer ticking, and that Wikicars will die after a certain deadline. I don't believe that's the case - correct me if I'm wrong.
- Finally, you still haven't addressed my question - how to resolve situations where there are same-named articles, talk pages, user pages on both wikis? A simple import will merge histories of pages (eg. imagine mixing up  and ), rendering them useless. —миша 19:51, 25 December 2010 (UTC)
- Youre right. I'll see about deleting the orginal content from Autopedia and I can wait for a long time. thanks :-)--Silver Knight (talk) 05:29, 26 December 2010 (UTC)
- Can I? ;)
- In my opinion, deleting articles only from Autopedia, because Wikicars is bigger, is bad idea. You should compare both pages and delete worse one. Misiek (talk) 07:48, 26 December 2010 (UTC)
- By Monday, when Christmas is over, I hope you'll be able to help or start importing pages asap because of an auto show coming up in 2011. New cars will be released. --Silver Knight (talk) 10:20, 26 December 2010 (UTC)
- Hey, Misza! I don't really know if your importing or not, but please reply if you've made accomplishments in importing. --Silver Knight (talk) 09:54, 30 December 2010 (UTC)
Grand Theft Encyclopedia
Hi, I'm bureaucrat of Grand Theft Encyclopedia. I need help with the import of the database because it's very heavy and the limits per upload it's 2MB. You can help me with the import?
Also I have a problem with the images. They are more than 10 thousands. You know how I can export/import all the images of/to the wiki?
Thanks. --WKorps (talk) 07:57, 9 January 2011 (UTC)
We are going to import wikicars manually. So the software you were going to write is no longer needed. Here is the discussion on Red marquis talk page.--Hockeyben (talk) 15:24, 12 January 2011 (UTC)
Please delete this wiki
Hi, can you please delete this wiki - , and its page here, I made a fatal error in its URL, and it won't work with pywikipediabot.
Thank you, Jordan (George (talk) 16:01, 16 January 2011 (UTC))
I requested this import a while ago and nothing has happened yet. The bu report number is 156 if that is any help. Could you please import the wiki soon as it has been weeks now. Thanks, ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 10:42, 5 March 2011 (UTC)
Hi Misza. Jack pointed me to you. How are things coming with Autopedia? Do you have any sort of an ETA yet?--Hockeyben (talk) 04:04, 4 May 2011 (MSD)
Software for wikicars
Hi misza. We had talked about this earlier- the merging of autopedia and wikicars. We were going to do it manually (and had nearly finished) when the server went down and autopedia was unable to be recovered. Now, I would like to ask a favor - for that software to be written and for wikicars to br imported to shoutwiki in one fell swoop. Remember, special:export does not work properly on wikicars, the duplicate pages being merged will no longer be an issue, as there is no content in Autopedia anymore. I hope you Can do this soon, as it is the only way of getting autopedia back to the way it was before the crash, and we don't want to manually import 29,000 images again. Thank you and I hope you can do this soon.Hockeyben (talk) 03:34, 10 May 2011 (UTC)
- Exactly. Is there really no other option for us Misza and do you have any sort of ETA for the software? -Red marquis (talk) 09:31, 11 May 2011 (UTC)
@RM As Misza said before, writing the software is the ONLY way to get wikicars over. We do not want to manually import again. @Misza
Please don;t ignore this, It's very important. --Hockeyben (talk) 15:15, 11 May 2011 (UTC)
- I was kinda halfway through doing this when you went ahead with a manual import, so I left it as it was. Right now I'm working on recovering the corrupted en.auto database (as well as simpsonsfanon). But if you prefer instead to go back to the original plan (i.e. the "Special:Export harvester"), I can dig up the code and continue. Simpsonsfanon will still need to be recovered, though. And that would be no ETA at the moment, though. —миша 07:42, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
If Autopedia can be recovered, please recover it. If it is unable to be recovered, then write the software to import wikicars. We we"re nearly done manually importing when the server went down. I had heard from skizzerz that it was in-recoverable. Getting it recovered would be the best option for our community, as weve added many unique pages not found on wikicars, getting the software written would be the second best thing, if it's unable to be recovered. So please try and recover autopedia. Thanks for getting back to me.Hockeyben (talk) 08:54, 12 May 2011 (UTC)
Jack said that the Autopedia recovery wasn't going well. Go ahead and write the import harvesting script if it can't be recovered. --Hockeyben (talk) 19:25, 16 May 2011 (UTC)
Hi, could you enable the social tools extension for Fish Hooks Wiki please? Thanks, Phinbart. Phinbart (talk) 11:34, 30 May 2011 (UTC)
Hi, misza. I was wondering if you have any updates on when the importing script for wikicars will be ready? Autopedia seems to have a new database error message... Which got me wondering whether this was close to completetion or not. Thank you Hockeyben - Talk 20:38, 3 June 2011 (UTC)