User talk:Lynton/Archive 1
- 1 Userpage
- 2 Dragon Ball
- 3 New skin
- 4 Importing content
- 5 Changing a wiki
- 6 Wikicars wants to merge with Autopedia
- 7 Help wiki
- 8 Load times
- 9 How to import wiki?
- 10 Ice Hockey
- 11 ShoutWiki
- 12 Closed wikis
- 13 Help page editor
- 14 Counter Strike
- 15 Autopedia
- 16 Text Color
- 17 Close wikis
- 18 Autopedia import
Hi,Lynton,I see that you are the staff here so I will ask you.Could you copy the dragonball.wikia.com to the dragonball.shoutwiki.com(I made it).Could you please also keep the Monaco skin. If you could please also make a wiki Dragon Ball Fanon and copy it from dragonballfanon.wikia.com (Also with Monaco skin).These 2 wiki's are very popular and you will get a big community boost.We are doing this because of the new skin which Wiki made,so you will have more wikis moved ;) --Gotehagetanks (talk) 11:30, 15 October 2010 (UTC)
- Hiya Gotehagetanks. I've put in a request for these wikis to be imported by our Technical Team, and given you standard founder rights on dbfanon.shoutwiki, where I've requested the fanon wiki be imported to, as dragonballfanon.shoutwiki is already in use. However, once your wiki is operational you may like to discuss taking over that subdomain with the founder/community there.
- As for the skin, Monaco will soon be available as a premium (paid) feature. We haven't yet finalized the pricing (and a few other things) on premium features, but once we do, we'll make them available. Don't worry, we'll try to make Monaco as affordable as possible, while still maintaining profitability.
Hey I need help with a new skin. Hmm I just created a wiki. Before I start creating articles I would like to have a skin made for it. Here is the link :) Crackdown Wiki Kajalamorth (talk) 00:00, 16 October 2010 (UTC)
- Hi there. When you created the wiki you would have seen a number of options for the skin. If you would like to change the one you've picked, you can let us know. — Lynton talk • email 11:56, 17 October 2010 (UTC)
I'm JacktheBlack the bureaucrat from Gearspedia the Gears of War wikia. I'm a new "immigrant" from Wikia. I would like to know if it would be possible for me to port or any easy way to get my 1000 plus pages too Shout.--JacktheBlack (talk) 17:06, 3 November 2010 (UTC)
- Hi there! Our Technical Team can assist you with importing the content from your existing wiki. Imports are currently on hold while we move to new servers, so in the meantime, create a wiki here at ShoutWiki with your desired subdomain, and reply here with the Wikia URL. I'll then create the job for our techs to get to once the server move is complete. — Lynton talk • email 15:33, 4 November 2010 (UTC)
Changing a wiki
I accidentally set the wiki I created as public instead of private. I want it publicly viewable but editing restricted to users. Is it possible to change the wiki type?
- Hi Sascha. We received your email about this issue and the ticket has been assigned to our technical team. However, they have been extremely busy with wiki imports. I've sent a reminder about your ticket and you should hear back from them soon. Thanks for your patience. — Lynton talk • email 02:36, 24 December 2010 (UTC)
Wikicars wants to merge with Autopedia
- Misza is handling this issue. In future, if there's an issue that you want to bring to the attention of all staff, you can use Special:Contact rather than posting on individual talk pages. This also allows us to assign the task to the appropriate staff member. Thanks, — Lynton talk • email 01:32, 26 December 2010 (UTC)
- There were two main reasons. Firstly, ShoutWiki help pages are located here on Hub. The help pages on that wiki were simply copied from Hub. In future, when our official help pages are updated, those would have been out of date. There is no reason to have either a carbon copy or outdated wiki confusing users.
- Secondly, that wiki had pages for users who needed help to ask for it. While community help is always appreciated, that can be provided here on Hub, where staff are monitoring edits and are able to assist as required. That was not the situation with the help wiki. — Lynton talk • email 10:52, 1 January 2011 (UTC)
The load times on Ice Hockey Wiki are extremely slow. I am averaging between 30 seconds and 2 minutes to load a page, and it's been like this (Though not quite as bad) for about a week. Any idea why this might be happening? --Hockeyben (talk) 15:58, 1 January 2011 (UTC)
- The load time seems normal to me. I ran a test with this tool which gave 2.9 seconds as the average load time. Maybe this is a problem with your connection. — Lynton talk • email 03:26, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
There seems to be a pattern, in the morning (Eastern Time Zone) it is slow, in the afternoon it is even slower, and the site sometimes goes down for an hour or 2. In the evening the site is generally fast, with intermittent slow times. All other websites are loading fine, so I don't think that my connection is the problem. Hockeyben (talk) 03:57, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
- I'll pass that information on to our technical team. — Lynton talk • email 11:10, 2 January 2011 (UTC)
How to import wiki?
Hello Lynton , how do I import a Wikia wiki to Shoutwiki?, I need a tutorial.
- We're working on updating the ShoutWiki Hub:About page, so keep an eye on that for this sort of information. — Lynton talk • email 09:01, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
Why were Chaser, Battlestar, Lost, Farscape, Indiana Jones, and that 70s show wikis closed? Yes i hadnt go around to doing muchyet but thats becausei had little time until recently. ESCYOS - YOUR GOD! talk | contribs 06:41, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- It is most probably something to do with this 5 wiki limit per user that has been introduced to stop many empty wikis being made. Unlike Wikia, ShoutWiki do not like empty wikis and want many complete wikis instead. ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 09:23, 22 January 2011 (UTC)
- I sent an email to the address you have registered in Special:Preferences, explaining the reasoning behind the closure. — Lynton talk • email 12:50, 23 January 2011 (UTC)
- I read the email and fair enough I was doing very little, mostly due to the hectic time I was having, even though I was on holiday, which ended the day you deleted those wikis. As for the Dark Angel and Stargate Fanon ones, I have started the basic stuff on them and will be adding more now that I have time to do it all, which includes all of the wikis. I intend the focus around 70% of my wiki-time to a single wiki for a few days and then move on building each one up gradually, at teh sam etime stealing away editors from wikia :) . ESCYOS - YOUR GOD! talk | contribs 12:53, 24 January 2011 (UTC)
Help page editor
Hello, I'd love to become a help page editor, you can find some of my edits on [] Love to help shoutwiki.
--Eglinton 22:04, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
- Hey there Eglinton, you are free to work on help pages on usersub pages like Jack and I explained to you on IRC. We will review the pages and move them to the proper help pages when they are done. Asking every single staffer individually will not help you gain the rights. --Jedimca0(talk) 22:19, 28 January 2011 (UTC)
Hi Lynton, has not yet been imported Counter Strike Wiki, so I went to Counter Strike Wikia and went to Special: Statistics and pressed "Request an update". Is it going to matter now, because I've tried with Bugzilla.
- Once the database dump is up to date the technical team will process the import request. — Lynton talk • email 01:35, 30 January 2011 (UTC)
Why has not yet been imported Counter Strike Wiki if I did what I had to do, push the button "Request an update" and nothing, or I have to wait a few days.
- If you requested an updated database dump from wikia, then it is up to wikia to update it for us. Once there is an updated dump, our techs will import it once there are no older requests on the queue. --Jedimca0(talk) 09:33, 3 February 2011 (UTC)
Hey there, Lynton.
- I've contacted the technical team and passed along that request. Can you please message me here when an up-to-date dump is available. Thanks, — Lynton talk • email 02:00, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
- Here's a partial list of what we missed. For shame.
- Silver Knight, unfortunately I think you are operating under the assumption that we did this maliciously, when in fact several staff members have been working since the downtime to recover your edits. As I said earlier, I appreciate your frustration, but I am beginning to become concerned by posts such as this and this.
- Having a look at some of those blog posts, it seems there is a lot of wiki content that can be made of them. Once an up-to-date Wikia dump is provided, we can re-create Autopedia and you can begin to work on them there. Or, in the meantime, we can set-up another wiki for you to work on immediately. — Lynton talk • email 22:32, 7 June 2011 (UTC)
While it wasn't the staffs fault, losing all the wikicars content from autopedia has basically destroyed it. Before the crash, it had 4400 pages, and 27,000 images. After the wikia version is imported, it will have 700 pages and 1500 images. Just recognize how hard it is for the community to endure a blow like this. I have one final question, why did autopedia not recover properly, while 698 other wikis did? Hockeyben - Talk 03:55, 8 June 2011 (UTC)
- As I have said, myself and the rest of the ShoutWiki staff appreciate your community's frustration. However, Silver Knight's recent edits seem to indicate that it was our intention for Autopedia to not be recoverable, when this is certainly not the case.
- There is no hard and fast answer for why your wiki was the most affected. I would like to clarify that other wikis had corrupted tables in the database as well, but these were not important (such as the job table), and so these tables could be discarded and recovery could continue. Our technical team have suggested that an edit may have been submitted while the backup was being run, leading to corruption of the edits table.
- As I said above, please contact me when the database dump is available from Wikia, and we will import that. — Lynton talk • email 04:17, 8 June 2011 (UTC)
Change of plan: Even though the dump is out of date, go ahead and import autopedia. I can easily copy/paste the articles not included in the dump (there aren't many). Can it be imported ASAP (within the next few days)?--Hockeyben - Talk 22:29, 13 June 2011 (UTC)
- I've asked the technical team to import the dump as is. I don't know what the estimate will be for the import and have asked them to provide one. — Lynton talk • email 08:12, 14 June 2011 (UTC)
How do you change the text color? Example: [[Links]]
- Ok,I Choose is close wiki:
- I've closed the first two, and transferred steward rights to the other administrator on the third wiki. — Lynton talk • email 05:02, 16 June 2011 (UTC)
- Sorry, I haven't got an estimate from the technical team yet. A couple of them are away/have exams, hence the delay. Apologies, I'll let you know as soon as I know. — Lynton talk • email 04:55, 16 June 2011 (UTC)
- I offered to create a blank wiki for you to work on over a week ago, and you chose not to take me up on that offer. Unfortunately I cannot create a blank wiki at that domain myself; you will need to wait for the technical team to do that when they are importing the wiki. — Lynton talk • email 13:38, 16 June 2011 (UTC)