Forum:Remove the 5-wiki limit
I plan to administrate more than 10 wikis for my “foundation”, but because of limitation (a user is only to host 5 wikis maximum, so I need to host 11 wikis in one wiki (like the original Uncyclopedia and on the Wikia Uncyclopedia in order to make my wiki database complete. —Znotch190713 (Talk Contributions) 08:28, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
This has so far created several problems: The growth of the wiki farm has creased in percentage. Also, staff are currently inactive, and people are evading the 5-wiki limit. This makes ShoutWiki very closed to the number of wikis, and although this has so far prevented people from creating duplicate wikis, it is either you remove the restriction, or un-do the restriction so that people could create more wikis and have more fun (some wiki farms, like Miraheze, allow you to be a bureaucrat on more than 1000 wikis at once (compared to 5 on ShoutWiki)). —Znotch190713 (Talk Contributions) 08:28, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
- If you can justify why you personally need more than 5 wikis simultaneously, which would be very unusual, staff can work with you. Let's start with a list of what wikis you intend to create and why. --Saftzie (talk) 09:01, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
- Yeah, so to expand on what Saftzie said - we've said a number of times (who knows where, maybe Facebook, maybe here on the forums, maybe a support ticket... I've lost track) - that should anyone actually present us a valid reason as to why they should be the creator of more than 5 wikis that are active and well maintained, we'll look at implementing an exemption group. However, as that is yet to happen, we've not.
- We're open to wiki "families" (wikis on the same topic/in different languages) being hosted at ShoutWiki, though that does not mean they all need to be created by one person. Wiki families are only ever successful when they grow naturally - that being a community inspires offshoots - maybe you have an active reader or editor who speaks another language or has an interest in say, fan fiction for your topic. They then create the wiki for that. The rules also don't say you can't be hold rights on those wikis or provide them support in setting that up. If you've not realised that, you should probably reconsider your plans. Insisting on control of all those wikis sends the wrong message to the community you presumably want to have involved.
- Now a different take on your use of the word "foundation" - if you are setting up an entity that requires 11 wikis - ShoutWiki, or I'd go as far to say pretty much any of the free public wiki farms, are not the place for you. You ought to consider setting that up on independent hosting, because... well, that list is too long to post here.
- For future reference as well - we'll take community input on a fair few things, however, matters of certain policies are not up for debate, even if you do create a three-option "vote".
- --Lewis Cawte (talk) 09:45, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
- @Lcawte: Then I will still open the proposal, but, however, I will change my plans.
- I m letting the community to discuss this.
- —Znotch190713 (Talk Contributions) 10:39, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
- The community can discuss this all they like, it isn't going to change anything, I thought I was fairly clear on that?
- Please don't abuse the ping function... I've already replied here, I know this forum exists. I don't need extra notifications of changes.
- --Lewis Cawte (talk) 11:57, 16 July 2019 (UTC)
- The biggest reason I've had is the lack of any real way to delete wikis. Every time I contact admins - which I have done numerous times - I never get a response. Ever. Which is bad because you also can't edit your wikis on a technical level like change skins, URLs or AFAIK, licenses. Once you make a mistake in the creation of a wiki, boom, it's there forever and you have to move on. You can't even import stuff without special permission, which you can't get because the admins don't reply to anything...can't even adopt wikis anymore because the Staff don't bother with that anymore either. ShoutWiki is way more anti-user than Wikia and that's just embarrassing considering the load of shady stuff Wikia has been doing. At least Wikia staff members actually bother to listen to their users and help them with support.--SupermanFan97 (talk) 03:52, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- yep, me too!-Mrangjunboon2017 (talk) 10:55, 18 October 2019 (UTC)-
- Hey guys, do you realize that the service is FREE. And that hosting a site is very expensive. What do you pay for your 5 wikis? Nothing. Did you make a donation or something to Shoutwiki?
The other reasons they give, are also very good reasons. Nobody is able to work on 5 wikis at the same time. If you don't use a wiki anymore, ask for its deletion. A wiki is a living site, not a site that should be edited once in 10 years.
What are the reasons for which you ask more than 5 wikis? What are the wikis you have already created here and actively maintained? What are the topics? One of your wikis shows no modification since 2012. So why do you want another one, just delete this one if it's not active anymore. It will save the shared resources here. --PERCE-NEIGE (talk) 13:39, 17 November 2019 (UTC)